Wednesday 28 May 2014

Weekeend away at Grootbos Nature Reserve


I love Cape Town so much that I am guilty of treating anything outside the 20km radius from the city like another province. So when I got an opportunity to go to Gansbaai I welcomed it with an open heart. First of all a weekend away in Grootbos is not nearly enough. There is so much to do and see and to truly experience what Grootbos has to offer you need at lease 4-5 days.

We arrived late mainly because we relied far too much on a GPS and we missed crucial exits but when we got there we immediately felt at home. There were people waiting for us at the parking lot and we were told we were just in time for a 5 course dinner which the manager insists that guests you try everything at least on the first night. Not the ones to break away from traditions we put aside our menus and let Princess (our waiter) do her job. Before I get to the food I just have to say that the staff at Grootbos goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. (One waiter even gave away his last cigarette because the vending machine wasn't working).  Nothing was too difficult to arrange and they are very attentive and know their menus well. Did I mention that it changes every day? Dinner is a real treat. Let me let the pictures do the talking!





 
 

Activities

There is so much you can do at Groobos from shark cage diving for the brave, whale watching (in season) but I heard that horse riding was very popular but opted for Quad biking. I was a bit concerned about three hours on a bike but time flew and I loved every second. I have never been on a quadbike before but I was told that anyone can do it. Within minutes we were off to the bush going up and down the mountain and I must say there were a few very steep areas and I still can’t believe I did it.


Three hours later we were back in our room and we have missed lunch. I called reception to let them know. I was happy with just sandwiches but I was told I could order whatever I wanted from the lunch menu, room service and all. The stuff at Grootbos really do their best to make sure that guests have a great time. We had a nice fire place going every night after dinner. The garden lodge is very private you feel like you are the only person there.
 






I would go to back to Grootbos anyday. I still have unfinished business with their pool.
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment