Thursday 27 March 2014

20 Days to go then Hello West Africa - Burkina Faso



I have been looking forward to this trip since I decided to go. Most people are surprisingly very negative about me going to Burkina Faso. Some ask me why I would want to go there? No one asked me that stupid question when I went to London last year. Some ask, is it safe? Hello, you live in Joburg and you are asking me about my safety. Some don’t even ask me any questions but tell me straight that I will not like it there. When I ask why, I am told that because up there it’s “Real Africa”. Now, this cracks me up. What is real Africa? Is it real Africa because it is less developed? If so when every corner in Africa has electricity, clean water, internet access, paved roads, street lights, are we going to have to change our name to Made in China meaning that it’s no longer real but FAKE?

I got so tired of defending my trip but I did my research and I was concerned about my health. Meningitis, Malaria and all sorts of water of food diseases. So, I went to a travel clinic yesterday. The nurse was polite and I asked her what I needed to take and said yes to everything she recommended. The last thing I want is to come back sick, or worse, get sick there. But for every little thing she recommended she told me about side effects. She said I must not drink immediately after taking my malaria pills. I understand this but I will not let pills interfere with my daily local beer-sampling sessions.  I said I would try to drink after 5 only. Then I was told the same pills would mess up the good bacteria so I will need to eat plain yoghurt to help build good bacteria inside my tummy. She then  said “But I wouldn’t trust their yoghurt”. Then the sunscreen, then milk, then all foods and water. I mean it’s her job to be helpful and advise clients but she was making me feel bad about going to West Africa. I swear, if I wasn’t paying the clinic almost a R1000 she would have advised against going altogether! I know they are not a travel agency and don’t need to sell West Africa as a destination, but they do not need to bash it either.

I had injections in both my arms, I woke up feeling sore but I can’t help but be excited about my trip, against all odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment