Wednesday 30 April 2014

Crocodiles Of Bazoule in Burkina Faso

Hello crocodiles
 
Getting to pose with crocodiles was one of the top things I wanted to do while I was in Burkina Faso and sample their local beer of course. The idea of riding a crocodile scared and excited me at the same time. I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that you have to buy chicken for the crocodiles as peace offering. I liked that idea very much. If I bring lunch I couldn't be lunch right?
The idea is not to look behind you!


We drove out of Ouaga and made our way to Bazoule. There were people waiting for us and after a short lesson about crocodiles we made our way to the lake. I could see the crocodiles from a distance and they looked like rocks you can step on. But when the guy made a noise the crocodiles started approaching us and I automatically started moving backwards. It looked as if they were getting bigger. I assumed they were going to feed them before we had a chance to take pictures.

My Photo Buddy! We were told she was over a 100 years old
 
 

Lunch was "natural" chicken
 



The guy told us that the females were better behaved so we had to take pictures with them. They happened to be the smaller ones too so I was happy. Once the "freindly" female was picked I was told to go ahead and touch it. The crocodile whisperer only had a stick to use against the crocodiles. I wanted to see him touch it first. After a few minutes I decided to try as well. It was not scary at all. I took as many pictures as I wanted and then it was time to walk back and enjoy lunch and beer under the tree. If you want to do something extreme but with both your feet on the ground I would highly recommend the trip to Bazoule. If I did it anyone can. Just remeber the chicken is alive and you will have to pick one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment